Job Title: Associate Director (Medicinal Chemistry)
Responsible to: Director of Medicinal Chemistry
Responsible for: Principal and Senior Research Chemists
Full time position
The Associate Director (Medicinal Chemistry) will work directly with senior lab Scientists, Group Leaders and the Director of Medicinal Chemistry to support and add value to our clients’ projects by clearly defining and implementing effective synthetic and medicinal chemistry strategies, engaging staff and driving innovation.
The Associate Director will work at the client interface, using their experience and expertise to assist business development colleagues in the delivery of new business, as well as building strong, long-standing relationships with clients; raising the profile and reputation of the company
This is a managerial role with the principal purpose of ensuring cross-functional strategic alignment, resource allocation, and the resolution of complex technical issues for assigned projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Excellent scientific expertise in medicinal chemistry, with a strong knowledge of modern chemistry literature and drug discovery landscape, in-depth knowledge of the principles of drug design, and the ability to champion the introduction of new technologies and capabilities with the company
- Broad knowledge of small molecule-based drug discovery, with significant first-hand experience in moving projects from conception to clinical candidacy.
- Understanding of the underlying principles of the biological screening processes typically used in support of drug discovery projects
- Understanding of the basic biological and pharmacological principles underpinning small molecule drug discovery projects
- Understanding of the underlying principles and practical applications of DMPK assays in the drug discovery process
- Expertise in the use of computational approaches for accelerating the drug discovery process, including structure-based drug design.
- Experience of working across a range of therapeutic areas and modalities
- Ensure that all Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are defined in work instructions and communicated in training
- Significant project team leadership experience, with a track record for the successful delivery of medicinal and synthetic chemistry projects in support of drug discovery teams
- Significant scientific management experience is required, with a strong interest and capability in the mentorship and development of direct reports.
- Excellent scientific management skillset, setting high standards for effectiveness of execution, and rigor of thought.
- Ability to contribute strongly to the refinement and evolution of strategies for chemistry-based drug discovery, and to communicate and implement those strategies.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Scientific driver for research strategy that influences strategic decision-making for chemistry department.
- Ability to lead projects and scientific endeavours independently, based on sound scientific principles.
- Ability to identify new technologies and capabilities that could add value to the way in which we work, as well as enhancing the efficiency with which we can deliver projects
- Lead and manage multiple teams in an environment that encourages innovation, teamwork and flexibility and in which members are highly engaged. Participate and contribute to the selection process of new team members.
To support with any ad-hoc requests by any of the Senior Management Team
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- PhD/post-doc degree in Medicinal/Synthetic Chemistry
- >10 years of Experience working in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Experience of managing small/medium teams in a dynamic research environment
- Track record for advancing small molecules from hit identification to candidate nomination
- Extensive experience of using computational tools to facilitate small molecule drug design (e.g., PyMOL, MoE, Cresset)
- Experience of leading chemistry teams in the CRO sector
Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to have a detailed and organised approach
- High quality problem solving skills
- >10 years’ experience in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with the ability to maintain the focus and alignment of project teams, and to effectively advocate strategic direction to senior management.
- Excellent collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively within a diverse team of internal and external co-workers and collaborators.
- Excellent project leadership skills, to support the required high quality of the services that we provide to our clients and build excellent working relationships with existing clients
- Excellent attention to detail and a methodical approach
- Good IT skills: computer literate using Microsoft packages (particularly MS Word and Excel)
You are applying for the role of:
Associate Director (Medicinal Chemistry)
Associate Director (Medicinal Chemistry)
Dependent on experience